Monday, April 13, 2009

Should I take the Job? Even if another may come available?

Dear Ask 3 Guys,

Hi guys, I hope you can help me out. I have been job hunting for a few months now. I am finally very close to securing a job with a company. I have gone in for 5 interviews and have one more to go. I feel confident that this will work out. At the same time I have applied for a jobs at another company. This company has expressed an interest but I have not gone in for an interview nor do they have a job opening. Would it be wise to send this company an email to let them know I am close to securing a job at another company in the hopes of them pushing things along or do I do nothing. A month from now it may be too late. I should also mention that the job I am close to getting is not my ideal job and also this is in Banking. Things are tough in the banking world right now. What do you suggest I do?

Thanks for your help.

--Gary
***********

Dear Gary,

Ronnie's Take:

You have nothing to lose send the letter in a professional manner. They won't not hire you because of the letter.

--Ronnie
***********

Victor's Take:

My track record for keeping jobs is not the best (I don't like to stay in one place too long) so I'm not sure if I'm the person to answer this question or not. I always keep my options open when it comes to jobs. 50 years ago job security was a given. Today - it just doesn't exist. In today's corporate world, everyone is replaceable. Consequently, I always keep an updated resume and always keep my options open. With the economy in the condition it is in, keeping your options open is a necessity. My recommendation going forward is a simple one: keep your resume up to date and keep sending it out. You should treat yourself as a Corporation and continually market yourself and your skills. Send the other company the e-mail. I wish you the best of luck going forward to finding your dream job.

--Victor
**********

Eddie's Take:

Things are tough everywhere. I am thankful that I work for a defense contractor, which is an area that America will always need. Here's what I think... You have to do whatever it takes to support yourself. If that means taking a job out of your comfort zone, then so be it. If you were currently employed, would you tell your company that you were interviewing for other jobs? Or, would you wait until you actually were offered a job? The latter seems like the right answer to me. If you take the available job, and the other company's interest in you arises, then I would hope that you would take the offer. Getting a job is not like getting married. You have options. Even though you take a job, you may leave for something that is a better fit for you.

Eight months ago, I transferred from a department that I had been with for over nine years. I actually thought that this was the best opportunity for me. I had a chance to learn more, and I enjoyed my role in the new position. Last week, I accepted a transfer back to the department that I had originally left. It's not that I wasn't happy, but the new job is a great career opportunity that fully supports my long-term goals with the company.

So, do what you have to do to make ends meet, but, when the opportunity accomplish your dreams pops up-- you better take it.

Just take the job, and don't tell them anything. Stay in contact with the other company just to let them know that you are still interested in pursuing a career with their company.

Best of luck to you.

--Eddie
**********

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask 3 Guys welcomes your feedback, so tell us what you think...