Sunday, February 8, 2009

Public Breastfeeding (What do men think about it?)

Dear Ask 3 Guys,

Hi guys! Fun idea for a website, came across you on twitter. This is a question I ask myself often while out in public, but have no one appropriate to ask. I have breastfed my son for 6 months, and will continue to do so until he reaches 12 months, as that is what the pediatrician recommends. I am a cute mom, and I always wonder what guys are thinking when they figure out what I am doing under the cape I wear to cover him. Facial expressions go from disgust, and turn away quickly never to glance my way again, to an almost fascination and continued long glances that creep me out. What are your thoughts when you see a breastfeeding mom in public?

Blase' Breastfeeder
********************

Dear Blase'

Victor's Take:

I think every guy is going to have a different opinion about this one. One thing I can tell you without hesitation: I never once associated breastfeeding with anything sexual nor would I ever gawk at a woman that was breastfeeding her child. My natural inclination is to always look away. I don't have any problem with it at all, and I wish more women did breastfeed-- as numerous studies have shown that it is just flat out better for the child. My natural reaction to look away is based upon the woman - maybe she is just a tad uneasy on some level or maybe she is a very private person. I don't know, I'm not a mind reader, but I will always air on the side of respect and dignity. That's what goes through my mind, and I want to respect her and her wishes in every way that I can. For the record, if I think you are cute, I'll pay you some attention after you are done meeting the needs of your child.

I hope this answer helps.

I wish you and your son all the best!


--Victor

Eddie's Take:

Some guys have a saying about breasts...("You know what they say about boobs... you seen one pair, you want to see the rest of them..."). Those would be the ones that continue to peep after they realize what is going on under the cape. For the rest of us (i.e. the gentlemen), it is only appropriate to look away. However, from my experience it is always a bit of a surprise to see women that are just so casual with breastfeeding. In a church I used to attend, there was a woman that would pop a boob out faster than a gunslinger. I thought it was odd, especially because the church had a nursing room, and she was not discrete at all.

As far as your case goes, you have to be willing to deal with the idiots in this world. Having a child is a beautiful thing, and you are doing your job as a mother to provide your baby with the nourishment that it needs. The caveat is that some men are going to be turned on by the thought of an exposed breast in public. I don't think the actual milking process is what they are hoping to see-- just the vehicle used to deliver it.

So, if that bothers you, perhaps you can try to be a bit more discrete. If not, know that it comes with the territory. Just be careful... there are so many weirdos out there.

At least we know the little one will have strong bones... lol.


--Eddie

Ronnie's Take:

I turn away rapidly. I like boobs, but think it is disrespectful and inappropriate during nursing to think sexual thoughts. It's uncomfortable for me, but I think each guy handles it in their own way.

--Ronnie

1 comment:

Ask 3 Guys welcomes your feedback, so tell us what you think...