Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Will picking a mole cause cancer?

Dear Ask 3 Guys,

Is it possible to cause cancer by picking a mole?

Picker
*******

Dear Picker,

Victor's Take:

Picking at anything does not cause cancer.

Cancer is any malignant growth or tumor caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division; it may spread to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system. (Princeton.edu)

--Victor
*********

Ronnie's Take:

I'm not a doctor but I'm told no it cannot cause cancer but if cancer already exists it speeds up the growth rate by picking at it from the interaction that the body gives to heal the picking you are doing.

--Ronnie
*********

Eddie's Take:

I'm no expert, but I have had several moles removed for various reasons. I have never had a biopsy come back positive for cancer. I did learn 4 characteristics that deem a mole a potential problem, which should be evaluated by your doctor. When I was in massage school, we learned the ABCD's of skin cancer:

A - Asymmetry - The mole should be very similar on both sides.
B - Border - The mole should not have jagged edges
C - Color - The color should not be very dark brown or black
D - Diameter - The diameter should not be larger than a pencil's eraser.

You may want to research to get the exact medical definitions. I'm surprised that I even remember this from school.

P.S. If you have hair that constantly grows out of your mole, be sure to trim it. Not for heath reasons, just because it is not fun to look at.

--Eddie
********

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask 3 Guys welcomes your feedback, so tell us what you think...